Lighthouse Learning Center for Children™ and Dedication of the Mary M. and Sash A. Spencer Campus
MIAMI LIGHTHOUSE FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED BREAKS GROUND ON NEW
LEARNING CENTER FOR CHILDREN
Miami Lighthouse for the Blind broke ground on a new addition to its
growing campus ─ the 72,000-square-foot Lighthouse Learning Center for
Children™ ─ during a ceremony held on Wednesday, August 3, 2016. The
groundbreaking ceremony was held in collaboration with leading design and
building professionals Wolfberg Alvarez & Partners and Munilla
Construction Management. The Lighthouse Learning Center for Children™ is
being designed and constructed as a safe, child-oriented environment with
a wide array of tactile experiences through which toddlers and young
children can learn about the world around them in an engaging and fun way.
Elected officials, civic leaders and education professionals participated
in the groundbreaking ceremony, along with Miami Lighthouse Board
Directors and other supporters of Miami Lighthouse.
In addition to housing innovative intervention programs for youngsters
from birth through four years old, the Lighthouse Learning Center for
Children™ will provide the community with a first-of-its-kind
pre-kindergarten program. Blind and visually impaired children from
communities throughout Miami-Dade will attend alongside sighted classmates
from the surrounding neighborhood. Miami Lighthouse is introducing this
unique initiative, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools
and the Early Learning Coalition, to more easily transition blind and
visually impaired students to our public schools.
Established in 1931 by Dolly Gamble under the inspiration of Helen Keller
with the help of the Miami Lions and Miami Rotary Clubs, Miami Lighthouse
is the oldest and largest private agency in Florida assisting persons of
all ages who are blind and visually impaired. In 1935, the Miami Lions
purchased a small bungalow house at 601 SW 8th Avenue, which was the
foundation for expansion to our current state-of-the-art 55,000
square-foot facility. The Miami Lions Club and its Foundation continue to
help Miami Lighthouse today and have contributed to this new expansion.
The new facility was made possible by private donations in response to a
challenge grant from a local philanthropist.